Brooks Announces Wegmans Mt. Read Pharmaceutical Drop Off
Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks announced the Monroe County Department of Environmental Services (DES) is partnering with Wegmans and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office to hold a pharmaceutical waste collection on Saturday, August 9th from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Mt. Read Wegmans located at 3701 Mt. Read Blvd. in the Town of Greece.
“Monroe County is proud of its collaborative partnership with Wegmans to provide these pharmaceutical waste drop-offs free-of-charge for residents,” said Brooks. “These events, including the upcoming collection in Greece on Saturday, August 9, serve as an outstanding resource by providing our community with a safe and environmentally-friendly way to dispose of potentially harmful substances.”
To date, Monroe County, Wegmans, local police departments and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) have served more than 27,000 residents and accepted more than 70,000 pounds of pharmaceutical waste. All medications will be destroyed by an incineration process which is overseen by law enforcement. No appointments are needed.
Monroe County and Wegmans will partner for one additional free pharmaceutical waste collection this year. That is scheduled for Saturday, September 20th at the Henrietta Wegmans located at 745 Calkins Road.
Residents can also drop off their unwanted and unused prescription and over-the-counter medicines to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Substation and the Fairport, East Rochester, Greece, Brighton, and Ogden Police Departments on a monthly basis. Drop-offs are held on the following days and times:
· Sheriff’s A-Zone in Penfield-2nd Tuesday of each month from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
· Fairport Police Department -1st Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
· East Rochester Police Department -3rd Wednesday of each month from 10 a.m. -1 p.m.
· Greece Police Department -2nd Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. - 12 noon
· Ogden Police Department -1st Friday of each month from 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
· Brighton Police Department – Daily drop offs Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Except holidays.
· Monroe County ecopark during “Special Collection” events. To find out about our drop offs go to www.monroecounty.gov/hhw/
Waste from pharmacies, veterinary offices and pharmaceutical businesses are not accepted at these Pharmaceutical waste drop-offs. Residents can access a full schedule by calling 753-7600 (option #3) or by viewing the County’s online household hazardous waste appointment scheduler at http://www.monroecounty.gov/hhw.
Monroe County DES’ pharmaceutical waste collection program has won several awards; including the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Commission’s Environmental Excellence Award and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s 2009 Environmental Quality Award.