Starting January 1, 1999 the following Continuing Legal Education requirements are in effect:
- Attorneys admitted five years or less must complete eighteen Continuing Legal Education hours every two years.
- Attorneys admitted six to fifteen years must complete twelve Continuing Legal Education hours every two years.
- Attorneys admitted more than fifteen years must complete six Continuing Legal Education hours every two years.
- All Continuing Legal Education credits must be in the area of criminal or family law practice.
- Attorneys will receive credit for any Continuing Legal Education participation recognized under the state-wide rules. Copies of the attendance certifications required by state rule must be filed with the Assigned Counsel Program before expiration of each attorney's biennial registration period. Attorneys may file the copies as received and the Assigned Counsel Program will maintain a file on behalf of the attorney. If the attorney wishes, copies of certificates beyond the required Assigned Counsel Program hours may be filed so that the attorney has backup copies of all Continuing Legal Education hours earned.
- The Continuing Legal Education years will run concurrently with the attorney's biennial registration period.
More CLE Information
- State-wide, Mandatory Continuing Legal Education requirements.
- Upcoming seminars of interest on the New York State Defenders Association web site.
- Upcoming seminars of interest on the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers web site
CLE On The Web
ABA Center for Continuing Legal Education
This American Bar Association site provides, "information and insights into the latest CLE."
New York Legal Course Providers
Download a list of Mandatory Continuing Legal Education providers for the state of New York in PDF format (Revised effective December 1, 2000).
The Association for Continuing Legal Education
ACLEA providing educational opportunities and professional interaction for its members.
New York State Bar Association
Comprehensive list of available programs.
Practising Law Institute
Online, recorded and web access CLE programs.