Let's Go Shopping
At holiday time - or any time - remember these safety tips and you’ll have a great shopping experience.
In Your Car
- Keep it in good running condition to avoid breakdowns.
- Plan your route in advance.
- Drive with all your car doors locked and remember to lock up the house before you leave.
- When you get to your destination, park as near as possible to the building.
- Take your car keys, and DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE SEATS OR IN PLAIN VIEW. This is a clear invitation to theft.
- Lock everything in your trunk or stash it out of sight.
- Stay alert: keep your mind on your surroundings. Who's in front of you and who's behind you?
- Communicate confidence: The message is that you're calm, confident and know where you are going. If you look vulnerable, you may look like a target.
- Trust your instincts: If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave.
- When shopping, never flash your cash around -- you don't know who's watching.
- Whenever possible, shop with a friend. It’s more fun, anyway.
- When you have finished finding all of those treasures, don't overburden yourself with a lot of packages. Always remember that you have to walk back to your vehicle.
- Again, remember that confident, assertive manner. When walking out of the store or mall, stop for a minute, look around and make sure you have the best route back to your car. Unlock your car, get in, lock your door again and you can begin your ride home.
Help us to help you protect yourself and your property. And happy shopping!