Theft from vehicles is a crime of opportunity. Crime prevention has always been a partnership; the police can't do it alone. As we step up our enforcement, we need the public to step up its target hardening efforts.
Never leave valuables in your vehicle. However, if you have no choice, it's certainly best to keep things out of sight and locked in the trunk. Thieves look for the easiest target and don't want to draw a lot of attention to themselves.
Here are some tips to remember:
- Lock your car and take your valuables with you when possible.
- If you must leave valuables in your car, lock them in your trunk or keep them out of sight.
- Be aware. Look for suspicious individuals.
- Park in well-lighted areas.
- Remove cell phone antennas when possible.
- If making more than one trip to put items in your car while at the mall, consider moving your vehicle to make it look like you've left.
- Consider an alarm system if you must often leave valuables in your vehicle.
- Plan ahead before you go shopping. Purchase small items that can easily remain with you first. Larger items that would probably have to remain in the vehicle and can't be kept out of sight should be purchased last.
- Report suspicious persons. We need to look out for each other.
- Report all crimes to the police.