Skip navigation.

Dinolfo, Kress Expand Health Care Training Programs Available Through LadderzUP

Dinolfo, Kress Expand Health Care Training Programs Available Through LadderzUP

Monroe County Executive Cheryl Dinolfo and Monroe Community College (MCC) President Dr. Anne M. Kress announced the expansion of MCC’s health care training programs funded by LadderzUP. Through funding provided by Imagine Monroe, an additional 245 individuals will be trained and upskilled in the current academic year to fill high-demand health care positions.

“Our industry-leading LadderzUp program has already trained more than 800 people to fill more jobs in rewarding careers, and these new, expanded Health Care Training options are just the latest enhancements to our successful programming,” said Dinolfo. “Building on the momentum of our first Certified Nursing Assistant program – which has helped nearly 100 trainees achieve their state certification so far – we are proud to now be providing training for 245 more, all with no out of pocket costs to the participant. I thank President Anne Kress, her team at MCC, and our healthcare partners for helping us change lives, one certificate at a time.”

This expansion follows the tremendous success of the first MCC Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) training program, which launched in March 2019. Across all six CNA cohorts completed thus far, 103 students have completed the program, 95% of whom have passed the New York State exam and are currently employed as a CNA.

The expanded health care training programs will be a collaboration with local long-term care providers including the Friendly Home, St. Ann’s, Monroe Community Hospital, The Highlands Living Center, and The Maplewood.

“MCC’s mission is to transform students’ lives by connecting them to affordable and accessible higher education that leads to meaningful careers. With Monroe County’s support through LadderzUP and our partnerships with employers, we’re opening doors of opportunity for individuals seeking careers or advancement in the health care field,” said Dr. Kress. “In addition to receiving a quality education, students will have access to MCC’s support services—including assistance with unforeseen financial emergencies, transportation and other basic needs—so that they can stay in school and earn their credentials.”

The expanded health care programs offered through MCC and LadderzUP include:
• Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA): opportunity for employees at health care facilities interested in pursuing CNA certification to advance. The Program prepares participants for the state certification exam through on-campus learning and off-site clinical experience in caring for residents. The program also offers skill-development training, networking and post-program support for four months.

• Advanced CNA: The Advanced CNA Program is designed for employed nurse assistants seeking professional skills development. Participants complete two days of skill building followed by sessions on topics ranging from communication and critical thinking to customer management and coaching/mentoring.

• Home Health Aide: The Home Health Aide program certifies individuals to work with residents in their home or in an Assisted Living Facility. The program also offers skill-development training, networking, and post-program support for individuals who would like to advance in their health care career.

According to an MCC analysis of the middle-skill labor market, there are an estimated 355 CNA positions likely to go un-filled in the Finger Lakes region due to an aging population and a shortage of workers. The CNA program funded by LadderzUP seeks to address that need and incorporates additional scholarship funding from other sources such as RochesterWorks!, NY Inspire, and Health Profession Opportunity Grants.

Over $350,000 in funding has been allocated for these training programs by Imagine Monroe, which is Monroe County’s economic development engine. This equates to roughly 75% of the total cost of the program expansion. The remaining 25% of the cost will be paid by local employers, who will be sponsoring workers to go through the program, achieve higher skill-levels, and fill critically-needed positions in the health care field.
This program represents an expansion of LadderzUP, Monroe County’s signature workforce development program that creates custom, accelerated job-training certification programs that prepare individuals for immediate career opportunities. All programs meet curriculum standards set by the New York State Education Department. Participants who pass the state certification exams can begin their careers in settings like senior living facilities, hospitals, clinics and doctors’ offices.
Individuals interested in these training programs should contact: Marcy Lynch at or 685-6287, or visit