Brooks Announces Wegmans Pharmaceutical Drop Offs For 2013
County Executive Maggie Brooks announced that the Monroe County Department of Environmental Services (DES) is once again partnering with Wegmans and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office to hold a pharmaceutical waste collection on Saturday, July 20th from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Latta Road Wegmans located at 3177 Latta Road in the Town of Greece.
“Monroe County is proud of its collaborative partnership with Wegmans for these pharmaceutical waste drop-offs that are free-of-charge for county residents,” said Brooks. “These collections continue to serve as an outstanding resource, as they allow for the safe and environmentally-friendly disposal of potentially harmful substances.”
To date, Monroe County, Wegmans, local police departments and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) have served more than 14,000 residents and accepted more than 40,000 pounds of pharmaceutical waste. All medications will be destroyed by an incineration process which is overseen by law enforcement. No appointments are needed.
Monroe County and Wegmans will partner for two additional free pharmaceutical waste collections this year. They are scheduled for Saturday, August 17th at the Irondequoit Wegmans located at 525 Titus Ave. and September 21st at the Wegmans Penfield Road store located at 2157 Penfield Road.
Residents can also drop off their unwanted and unused prescription and over-the-counter medicines to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Substation and the Fairport, East Rochester, Greece, Brighton, and Ogden Police Departments on a monthly basis. Drop-offs are held on the following days and times:
· Sheriff’s A-Zone in Pittsford-2nd Tuesday of each month from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
· Fairport Police Department-1st Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
· East Rochester Police Department-3rd Wednesday of each month from 10 a.m. -1 p.m.
· Greece Police Department-2nd Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. - 12 noon
· Ogden Police Department-1st Friday of each month from 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
· Brighton Police Department – Dailey drop offs Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Except holidays.
· Monroe County ecopark during “Special Collection” events. To find out about our drop offs go to www.monroecounty.gov/hhw/
Waste from pharmacies, veterinary offices and pharmaceutical businesses are not accepted at these Pharmaceutical waste drop-offs. Residents can access a full schedule by calling 753-7600 (option #3) or by viewing the County’s online household hazardous waste appointment scheduler at http://www.monroecounty.gov/hhw.
Monroe County DES’ pharmaceutical waste collection program has won several awards; including the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Commission’s Environmental Excellence Award and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s 2009 Environmental Quality Award.