An Iron Bridge Landmark
The Stuart Road Bridge is one of nine landmark structures on the State and National Register of Historic Places designated in the Chili Mills Conservation area. The Stuart Road bridge is the oldest bridge in service in Monroe County which is open to pedestrian traffic.
On February 22, 1822, the New York State Legislature voted to provide money for a bridge by Sibley’s Mill (now Chili Mills, located in West Chili). On June 29, 1877 the Chili Town Board voted to spend One thousand six hundred dollars ($1,600.00) to build a new bridge across Black Creek at Feely’s Mill. The bridge was built in the late summer and fall of 1877. Christopher Feely owned Chili Mills between 1875 and 1892. The King Iron Bridge Company manufactured the bridge. The entire bridge was sent on rail then traveled to the site on wagons. A King Bridge Company agent, Mr. Twiss from Cortland, N.Y. supervised the entire operation. Town forces including masons and carpenters, assembled the bridge in its current location in Summer and Fall of 1877.
The Stuart Road Bridge is a classic example of the Squire Whipple bowstring truss design. This bridge is unique, in that, other bridges of this type were moved to different locations and rebuilt, however the Stuart Road Bridge still remains on its original site.
A rehabilitation project to improve and repair the bridge structure began on January 22, 2002 and ended on May 1, 2002.
Learn more at the The Landmark Society of Western New York website.
Visit the New York State Parks website.
|Super-Structure||Whipple Bowstring Iron Pony truss bridge|
|Deck||3" Oak Planks|
|Manufactured By||King Bridge Co.|
|Height of Truss||6'-0"|
|Bridge Overall Length||74'-0"|
|Number of Spans||One|
Why the Project Was Needed
The wooden deck of the bridge started to deteriorate to the point that is was not feasible to repair it any longer. The wood was dry rotted, and spongy over 50% of the deck. This caused the bridge to be unsafe for pedestrian traffic. The bridge also had raised runner planks which was added for use by vehicular traffic. This was also in need of repair. The handrails were not up to current safety standards as well.
- The entire bridge was dismantled except for the top chords and trusses. The deteriorated concrete was removed and replaced with concrete and reinforcing bar. The asphalt approaches on each end of the bridge were removed for approximately 25 feet.
- Two floor beams (steel beams that support stringers) and 24 stringers (steel beams that support the bridge deck) were replaced.
- White oak planks 3" thick were attached to the stringer beams, using galvanized steel clips.
- A new upgraded wood hand rail system was installed.
- The Town of Chili replaced the asphalt at both ends of the bridge.
- Two 6" x 6" wood bollards (wood posts) were installed on each end to prevent vehicular traffic from using the bridge.
- Monroe County Bridge Engineer:
Bo Mansouri, P.E.
- Bridge Design:
Monroe County Department of Transportation
Paul Bardotz, Field Engineer
Monroe County Bridge Crew
Dave Condello, Foreman
Peter Garofolo, Team Leader