Glass Bottles (Non-Deposit), Jugs and Jars
Clear, green, blue and brown bottles, jugs and jars may be recycled via the curbside recycling program. These containers should be rinsed clean with caps and lids attached.
Residential Curbside Recycling
The following commingled and paper materials should be placed in your recycling box and taken to the curb before 6:30am on your regular trash collection day. If high winds are forecast on your collection day, please delay recycling.
Acceptable Paper Items
- Newspapers and inserts
- Magazines and catalogs
- Junk mail, advertisements and brochures
- Clean cardboard (flatten, not to exceed 2x4 feet, tie large stacks together with string or twine)
- Pizza boxes (clean, empty and flatten)
- Paper egg cartons NO styrofoam
- Paper boxes - cereal, cracker, soda, tissue, shoe, gift, toy, pasta, etc. - flatten NO plastic liners
- All books (including phone books)
- Home office paper, files, school papers, etc. Shredded paper must be in brown paper bags
- All envelopes (including windowed envelopes)
- Gift wrap
Acceptable Metal, Plastic & Glass Items
- Gable-top cartons & drink boxes (rinsed)
- Clean, empty plastic containers and items #1 through #7 (with or without caps) NO styrofoam, empty prescription bottles, pesticide containers, bulky items and bags or filmy product wrapping
- Metal Pots, Pans and Aluminum Foilware
- License Plates (defaced)
- Metal Food and Beverage Cans (lids are accepted)
- EMPTY Aerosol Cans (with caps) NO pesticides or spray paints!
- Glass food and beverage bottles, jugs and jars (with or without caps) NO drinking glasses, window glass, pyrex, light bulbs, etc.
Help Prevent Windblown Litter
Help reduce windblown litter by delaying recycling if high winds are forecast. Recycling bin covers are available for purchase that can help keep recyclables in their bin. Click on the links below for several examples (no product is endorsed by Monroe County).
- Rnet Rochester New Recycling Bin Covers
- EcoCaps Niagara Cloth Recycling Bin Covers
- R.U. Cover'D Waterproof Vinyl Recycling Bin Covers
Reduce Junk Mail
Reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by calling the following toll-free number: 1-888-567-8688.
New or Replacement Recycling Bins
In order to obtain a new or replacement recycling bin, homeowners must call their garbage collector. City of Rochester residents should call 585 428-5990.
Local Recycling Centers
Items accepted for curbside recycling can also be dropped off at ecopark and local recycling centers.