Assistant Conflict Defender II (Criminal Court)
Attention: Effective February 2023 - December 2024, Monroe County full-time employees will receive a $1,000 quarterly retention payment. Apply today. Another great reason to join the Monroe County workforce!
Description of Duties
This is a Criminal Court attorney position located in the Department of Public Safety, Conflict Defender’s Office. This position is a criminal court position representing clients on misdemeanor level offenses in Rochester City Court.
Responsibilities involve legal representation of indigent persons entitled to public defense who cannot be represented by the Public Defender’s Office due to a conflict of interest. The employee reports directly to and works under the general supervision of the Conflict Defender.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
1. The Assistant Conflict Defender shall be an attorney duly licensed to practice law in the State of New York.
2. The Assistant Conflict Defender must have the ability to build relationships with clients and possess clear and effective communication skills.
3. The Assistant Conflict Defender must show a commitment to clients and exceptional advocacy.
4. The Assistant Conflict Defender must have an ability to work with judges, lawyers, court administrators, other persons within the court system, and court officials.
5. The Assistant Conflict Defender should have experience working with low income individuals or communities of color and a commitment to racial equity, diversity and inclusion.