111 Westfall Road
Rochester, NY 14620
Phone: 585 753-5223
Lauren Reed, BSN
The Children and Youth With Special Health Care Needs Program (CSHCN) is a statewide public health program that provides information and referral services for health and related areas for families of CYSHCN.
- Any child, youth or young adult, age BIRTH TO 21 YEARS who has, or is suspected of having, a serious or chronic condition that requires health and related services beyond what a child generally needs.
- A child with a serious or chronic developmental condition related to one or more of the following areas of development:
- Physical or motor development
- Cognitive development (e.g., problem solving, attention, etc.)
- Communication (i.e., understanding language and/or speaking)
- Social and Emotional development
The CSHCN Program provides families with information and referrals to fit their child’s growing needs. Children who are enrolled in the Early Intervention Program can continue to receive help through CSHCN when they “age out” of Early Intervention.
A child can receive assistance through the CSHCN Program even if they have been identified as a child with a disability through either the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) and/or the Committee on Special Education (CSE).
You are the strongest advocate in your child’s life! Working together with professionals will help empower your child to succeed! As a parent or legal guardian, you are an active participant in your child’s medical or related screenings, assessments, or examinations. It is important to connect specialized help that your child may be receiving to both home and community settings. This is key in helping your child attain his/her growth and potential!
CSHCN provides referrals and information about resources in your community that can help children with special health care needs and their families.
- Medical and Therapeutic Support Services
- Parent Organizations
- Support Groups
- Referral to a Medicaid Health Home
- Special Education Services
- Assistance with Transportation
- Food Services and Pantries
- Clothing Services
- Recreational Activities
- Respite Care
For more information, call 585-753-5223.