1150 City Place
50 W. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14614
Chanh Quach, Manager
Phone: 585 753-2000
Fax: 585 753-2028
The Community Development Office administers three entitlement allocations from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) each year: the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), the HOME Investment Partnerships (HOME) and the Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) programs.
Together these programs channel over $3 million in federal funds to projects that are designed to carry out housing rehabilitation, affordable housing development, neighborhood improvements, essential community services and economic development activities. Federal regulations require that these programs principally benefit low and moderate-income families, the elderly and persons with special needs.
- NYS Housing and Community Renewal Website
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Website
- HUD User Website
Monroe County's Home Improvement Program (HIP) provides grants or grant/low-interest loans to income-eligible homeowners for home repairs and improvements in the suburban towns and villages excluding the City of Rochester and Towns of Greece and Irondequoit. Residents of the city of Rochester, Greece and Irondequoit should contact their respective municipality: City (585) 428-6963; Greece (585) 723-2384; Irondequoit (585) 336-6021.
Eligible repairs include structural (roof, foundation, windows, exterior paint or siding), major systems (plumbing, heating or electrical) and accessibility accommodations (ramps, lifts, doorways, bathrooms). Routine maintenance, remodeling and cosmetic improvements are generally not eligible repairs.
Depending on the cost of needed repairs and household income, you may qualify for a grant of up to $20,000.00. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact the Community Development Office at 585-753-2000 for additional information. Language translation or interpreting services are also provided upon request.
Home Improvement Program Documents
Monroe County's First-time Home Buyer Program is administered by The Housing Council. The program provides one-time grants for down payment and closing cost assistance to income-eligible first-time home buyers who purchase homes in the suburban towns and villages of Monroe County.
The program also provides a full range of counseling services to help buyers achieve the American Dream of home ownership, including credit repair, budgeting, mortgage products and savings programs, pre-purchase and post-closing assistance. For additional information, contact The Housing Council First Time Homebuyer - Click Here or call 585-546-3700.
- Rent assistance or Utility Arrears - call 2-1-1
- Utility Arrears - call Catholic Family Center at 585-232-2050
- Lifespan - Provides information, guidance and services for older adults/caregivers - 585-244-8400
- Pathstone - Home rehab and energy conservation - 585-442-2030
- Neighborworks - Home repair and energy services - 585-325-4170
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) - Special Assistance for Home Owners in need of a new furnace or repair. For more information, call 585-753-6280 between the hours of 9am and 3pm, Monday through Friday.
Other Monroe County Community Development Documents
- 2022-23 Consolidated Annual Performance & Evaluation Report - October 26, 2023
- 2023-24 Annual Action Plan - June 16, 2023
- 2021-2022 Consolidated Annual Performance & Evaluation - October 28, 2022
- 2022-2023 Annual Action Plan - June 17, 2022
- 2020-2021 Consolidated Annual Performance & Evaluation Report - October 7, 2021
- 2021-2022 Annual Action Plan - June 15, 2021
- Update to the Analysis of Impediments - 2020
- 2020-2024 Strategic Plan and 2020 Annual Action Plan - June 2020
- 2019-2020 Substantial Amendment to Annual Action Plan - March 2021
- 2019-2020 Consolidated Annual Performance & Evaluation Report - October 26, 2020