To minimize potential health hazards and the contamination of surface and ground waters by ensuring that individual wastewater treatment systems are properly designed and constructed pursuant to Article IIA and Article III of the Monroe County Sanitary Code.
- Witness field testing (percolation tests and deep holes).
- Review plans and issue approvals for individual wastewater treatment systems.
- Consult with engineers, homeowners, and contractors.
- Perform construction inspections of new on-site sewage treatment systems and repairs.
- Investigate complaints.
- Enforce Article II-A and Article III of the Monroe County Sanitary Code.
Application is made by submitting completed applications, plans, and reports as needed. Application materials can be found in the 2016 MCDPH Plan Review Submission Guide. Copies of the Submission Guide are available on this website or from the Monroe County Department of Public Health, Bureau of Public Health Engineering, 111 Westfall Road, Room 938, Rochester, New York 14620.
What You’ll Need
Before an on-site wastewater treatment system can be constructed, the applicant is required to provide a plan prepared by a design professional showing placement of the system on the property. Application requirements for repairs to existing on-site systems vary by project; as such, please contact us to discuss what is needed for your specific repair project.
A Monroe County Department of Public Health representative must perform construction inspections of the installation of wastewater treatment facilities for both new development and repairs.
Inspections will be completed within 48 hours of request.
- 2015 OWTS Design and Construction Standards
- 2016 Plan Review Submission Guide
- Property Transfer Recommendations
- Septic System Repair Permit Application
- Septic System Partial Repair Permit Application
- Septic System Care and Maintenance
- Septic System Repair Permit Instructions 2016
- Monroe County Sanitary Code Article IIa Private Sewage Disposal Systems
- Monroe County Sanitary Code Article III Realty Subdivisions