On This Page
In accordance with Local Law No. 6 “Gantt’s Law for Utilization of Minority and Women-owned Businesses”, Monroe County has implemented the Minority and Women Business Enterprise (M/WBE) Certification and Utilization Program. The purpose of this is to encourage increased participation of minority and women-owned businesses in County contracting. Monroe County is committed to providing opportunities for underutilized businesses to grow, build capacity, and create generational wealth. The program will be administered by the Department of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion.
This program has several key components:
Monroe County Certified M/WBE List List Updated 03 February 2023 MWBE Certification Program and Utilization - Rules and Regulations
Effective 1 Jan 2022 Monroe County will offer a certification program for qualified M/WBE firms. Once in the program certified firms will be eligible to fulfill M/WBE participation goals on locally funded contracts. The program allows for participation as a prime or sub-contractor to fulfill program goals.
- At least 51% Ownership and Control by Minority* and/or Women
- At least 51% Ownership and Control by a US Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien
- In operation for 6 months at the time of certification
- Ability to show proof of previous business activity
- Legal Business Formation i.e. DBA, LLC, S Corp
- Authorized to do business in New York State
*Qualified Minority Groups are defined in Local Law No 6.
Rapid Certification Program
Businesses that hold current certification through the following agencies may qualify for the Rapid Certification Program. This program streamlines the application processing time.
- New York State M/WBE Certification Program
- Small Business Administration 8(a) Business Development Program
- US Small Business Administration WOSB Program
- New York State Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program
- Buffalo Erie County/Joint Commission M/WBE Program
- New York Port Authority M/WBE Program
- City of Albany M/WBE Program
- City of Syracuse M/WBE Program
- City of New York M/WBE Program
- New York Power Authority M/WBE Program
- MTA M/WBE Program
- National Minority Supplier Diversity Council
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council
- US Women’s Chamber of Commerce
- National Women’s Business Owners Corporation
- The El Paso Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Interested firms may apply by visiting the link below.
Goals of 12% MBE and 3% WBE will be assigned to most County contracts. The program has expanded which contract types are subject to M/WBE requirements, vastly increasing the opportunities for M/WBE firms to service Monroe County. These include construction/public works projects, professional, and non-professional services. Businesses that elect to become certified will be marketed to other firms searching for partners to meet participation goals.
Monroe County buys a wide variety of products and services; businesses should conduct research to see if their offerings are a fit for the county’s needs.
DEI will host an annual training forum focused on providing critical information and training to the M/WBE community. The Second Annual Forum is scheduled for Spring 2023. Details will be posted on this page when they are available.
For questions or additional information please contact:
M/WBE Utilization Manager
(585)753-2409 - Office
(585)363-1169 – Cell
For accommodation to complete the application in other languages please contact us at [email protected]
Para completar la solicitud en otros idiomas, contáctenos al correo electrónico [email protected]
- Monroe County Economic Development
- Monroe County Procurement Technical Assistance Center
- REDCO | Rochester Economic Development Corporation
- Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce
- Urban League Entrepreneurial Assistance Program
- Small Business Administration
- Small Business Administration SCORE Business Mentor
- NYS Small Business Development Center
- University of Rochester Supplier Diversity Program