Clerk Hours & Contact Info

General Passport Information

Picture of Sydney, Australia.Picture of DBA paperwork.

The Office of the Monroe County Clerk offers in-person appointments for people who need to submit an application for a new U.S. Passport and for renewals of U.S. Passports that expired more than 5 years ago. You can book an appointment with this link or the "Book Appointment" button below. Please note, you must have the necessary, original paperwork with you during your appointment including a personal check for the fee to the U.S. Department of State.  If you come to the office without a complete, filled-out application, you will be asked to leave and book another appointment. Be sure to check the information below for the requirements of a complete Application and on the U.S. Department of State's website for processing times.

 Book Appointment

Our office is located in the County Office Building, 39 W. Main St., Room 101 (at the corner of West Main and Fitzhugh Streets in downtown Rochester).

When applying for a passport, please be prepared to provide the following:

  • A completed application, typewritten or neatly printed in black ink only. Do not sign the form until in the presence of a Clerk.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship in one of three forms:
    • a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal and parents names listed,
    • original naturalization papers, or
    • an old U.S. passport issued in your name
  • Proof of identity in the form of:
    • a valid NYS Driver License or non-Driver ID,
    • a valid military ID,
    • naturalization papers issued to you as an adult, or
    • an INS Alien Registration Card
  • Two identical passport photos, 2" x 2" with a white background and a full front view of your head and shoulders. Pictures must be taken within the last six months. Pictures are available in the Monroe County Clerk’s Office for a fee of $7 per set.
  • Applicants between the ages of 16 to 18 must appear with a parent or legal guardian.
  • Applicants under the age of 16 must appear with BOTH PARENTS.
  • Appropriate fees: please visit the U.S. Department of State's website here for the most up to date fees

Payment Type

U.S. Dept of State Fee County Clerk Processing Fee
Cash   X
Credit Card   X
Check/Bank Check X X
Money Order X X

Note: If you were born in Monroe County you may obtain a copy of your birth certificate by contacting the Bureau of Vital Statistics at 753-5141.

For quicker results, download a passport application, fill it out beforehand but do not sign it, and bring it with you to the County Clerk’s Office.

If you have any additional questions, please call 585 753-1600.

Picture of Sydney, Australia.Passports for Children

All children must appear at time of application.

Rules governing the issuance of passports to children under the age of 16 were recently revised by the U.S. Department of State. BOTH PARENTS or the child’s legal guardian must be present at the time of application or present additional documentation as detailed below. If you are in need of photos for a baby if possible please bring a white blanket with you.

Evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship must be presented at the time of application. The child’s Social Security number is also required on the application.

Both parents or legal guardian must:

  • Present evidence that they are the parents or guardian;
  • Show valid identification;
  • Sign and take an oath before an authorized passport acceptance agent.

If the second parent is not available to sign, the appearing parent must do all of the above and:

  • Present evidence that he/she has sole custody of the child; or
  • Present a completed “statement of consent” form (DS-3053), which must be notarized.

Children between the ages of 16–18 must appear with a parent or legal guardian who can sign their passport application. Furthermore, the applicant will need:

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship;
  • A social security number;
  • The parent to produce photo identification showing the same last name as the child (guardian must bring guardianship papers). If the last name on the parent’s ID is different from the applicant's, additional documentation will be required.


Please vist the U.S. Department of State's website here for the most up to date fees.

Payment Type

U.S. Dept of State Fee County Clerk Processing Fee
Cash   X
Credit Card   X
Check/Bank Check X X
Money Order X X

Picture of Egyptian pyramids.Expedite the Passport Process



The processing time for passports varies during different times of the year. Please check the U.S. Department of State website for current information on processing times. The Office of the Monroe County Clerk is only responsible for processing and submitting the passport applications to the US Passport Office. You will receive your passport in the mail directly from the Passport Agency.

If you wish to receive a passport sooner than the U.S. Department of State’s average processing time, you may pay an expedite fee of $60 per application plus additional fees to overnight your application to the Department of State and return to you upon completion.

Normally an expedited passport is 10-14 business days from time of application to time of return. If you do not receive your passport within the time schedule listed above, please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (TDD 1-888-874-7793) or by e-mail.

If you are traveling in less than 14 days, you should schedule an appointment with a passport facility to have your application processed. There are facilities in Buffalo, New York City, and Boston that accept appointments. Please call the National Passport Agency at 1-877-487-2778 to schedule an appointment. Proof of travel is required to make an appointment and expediting fees will apply.

Amend or Change a Passport

To amend information or to change a name on a passport, you must fill out a “Passport Amendment/Validation Application.” When completed, mail the form with your passport and supporting documentation to the National Passport Processing Center address listed on the application. Supporting documents could include an original marriage certificate, court-ordered birth certificate, or other documentation that would support the name change, correction, or amendment. No processing fees are required.

Renew a Passport by Mail

You may be eligible to renew your passport by mail and save a processing fee. To be eligible you must be able to submit your most recent passport and you must have been at least 16 at the time your most recent passport was issued, plus it must have been issued less than 15 years ago. In addition, you must currently use the same name as on your most recent passport or submit your marriage certificate or court order if your name has changed.

You will need to complete form DS-82, Application for a US Passport by Mail, and submit your completed application, your most recent passport, two identical passport photos with a white background taken within the last six months, and a check or money order for $130 payable to “Department of State” to the National Passport Processing Center directly by mailing to the address listed on the application (please note the fee for a passport book increased effective December 27th, 2021).