2672 Ridge Road, West
Rochester, NY 14626
Phone: 585 753-5086
Rosemary Bonaccorso, DTR, CDN
Breastfeed your baby! You can do it and WIC can help! WIC Peer Counselors are moms, just like you. They can help you learn about breastfeeding your baby. They can also answer any breastfeeding questions that you have and are available to help over the phone or in person. WIC offers weekly infant feeding classes for you and your family and each WIC site has a breastfeeding library containing books, videos and handouts for you to use. Did you know that you’ll get more WIC benefits if you breastfeed your baby? If you are exclusively breastfeeding your baby (only breast milk, no formula), you will receive additional foods on your WIC checks, such as tuna fish and carrots, in addition to the basic WIC foods. WIC believes that Breastfeeding is Best Feeding!
Breast milk is:
- perfect for your baby. It has over 200 nutrients and it changes as your baby grows.
- easily available. There is no preparation, sterilization or refrigeration.
- easily digested so your baby will have less gas, colic, diarrhea and spitting up.
- can increase your baby’s IQ.
- may reduce the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
- helps you bond with your baby.
- reduces your chance of developing breast cancer.
- saves you time and money.
- have fewer ear infections and less risk of childhood cancer.
- are less likely to develop asthma, diabetes and allergies.
For more information on breastfeeding your baby or to be referred to a Peer Counselor, please call the WIC Breastfeeding Help Line at 753-5640. WIC also suggests that you visit the following web sites for the most up to date and informative breastfeeding information.