At 380 acres, Powder Mills Park offers a unique natural setting with steep hillsides, creekside meadows and wetlands that provide a variety of recreational activities. There is downhill skiing, hiking, and trout fishing. The park also offers six lodges and four shelters all available to rent.
For information and reservations please call 585 753-PARK (7275) or go to our Online Lodge & Shelter Reservation System.
Location and Directions
Powder Mills Park office is located at 154 Park Road, Pittsford, NY 14534, southeast of Rochester. Enter the park from Route 96 South of Bushnell’s Basin near Interstate 490.
The park office is located at 154 Park Road, Pittsford, NY 14534.
Common Recreation Activities at Powder Mills Park
- Downhill Skiing
- Cross-Country Skiing (no groomed trails)
- Riedman Foundation Fish Hatchery
- Fishing- Fishing is allowed in Powder Mills Park as long as those fishing are following NYS Department of Environmental Conservation guidelines and rules and have the required licenses.
- Geo-caching (approximately 26 caches)
- Lodges/Shelters for Rent
proximity to creek; picnic tables and bathrooms available for general use
Rules and Regulations
- Powder Mills Park has a Carry-in Carry-out rule, which means you must take all your garbage with you for disposal after leaving the park.
- All pets must be leashed and you are responsible for cleaning up after them.
Powder Mills Park has three restrooms located in the park. One is located off Park Road by the Rand Lodge. The other two are located off of Woolston Road; one by the Powderhorn Lodge and the other next to the Oak Tree Lodge. See the park map for specific locations.
Before heading out to Powder Mills Park print the map. The color coded hiking trails and additional details will keep you on the right track.
- The Hatchery Trail is a .8 mile walk that takes you through a large field of milkweed which is a favorite spot for butterflies. Keep a look out for hawks circling overhead.
- The Daffodil Trail is a .7 mile (one way) walk that is especially wonderful in the spring because it takes you through a Daffodil Meadow which when in bloom is beautiful. This trail also has a wide range of plants along the walk which keep the scenery changing.
- The Ridge Trail is a .4 mile walk (one way) which has an overlook point that allows you to see west for miles. Also watch along this trail for the remains of the old Randhousehold.
- The Trillium Trail is a .5 mile (one way) walk that will bring you along the wetlands and through an area of unique plant life.
- The Powderhorn Trail is a .6 mile walk which a small section opens up to a very large field filled with ragweed and other wild flowers. It will also take you through woods filled with maple, oak, and many other types of trees.
Downhill Skiing information
Swain Ski Resort and Monroe County Parks are teaming up again this winter to bring you downhill skiing at Powder Mills Park.
If you have any questions about season passes or opening day please call Swain Ski Resort
For more information about Skiing at the Park, please see:
The Fish Hatchery at Powder Mills Park was established in 1933 as a cooperative effort between the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries and Monroe County. It was closed in mid-December 2002 due to County budget cuts and then re-opened in the Fall of 2003, when the Riedman Foundation entered into a partnership with the County to provide funding for staff, maintenance and operational support, as well as make capital improvements. The Fish Hatchery at Powder Mills Park is open all year long. This popular family destination provides a unique opportunity to view several varieties of fish in various stages of development. There are some 20,000 fish currently being raised at the hatchery. In addition to the trout, the hatchery raises Chinook salmon and Perch. Hatchery staff, on duty Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. most weekends, help provide an educational experience for visitors of all ages. For more information about the benefit derby and other activities taking place at the Fish Hatchery at Powder Mills Park, please call 585-586-1670.
Powder Mills Park Fishing Derby Information
The staff of the Fish Hatchery at Powder Mills Park has announced their affiliation with the following, upcoming fishing derbies:
The Powder Mills Park Fishing Derby is back! Friday, April 1, 2022 will be the 2022 Powder Mills Park Fishing Derby headquartered at Powder Horn Lodge (115 Park Rd, Pittsford). Visit their web page for more information and to register!