Catherine Thomas, Director
The Children's Detention Center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Attorney visits are available and need to be requested through the Caseworker. Youth have the ability to make bail 24 hours a day, upon completion of proper paperwork.
Youth are allowed 2 visitors at a time for 1 hour each, twice weekly. Visitors must be on an approved list with facility Casework staff. Contact information for the facility is 585 -753-5940.
Visitation Days and Hours
- Weekdays: Visits are offered between 5:30- 7:30 PM
- Weekends: Saturday and Sunday visits are between 10:00 AM and 3:30 PM in one-hour increments for local youth, and 2-hour visits for Out of County Youth.
- Special visits are allowed if the regular visits are not convenient for parents/guardians or as needed for out of town visits.
Our Mission Statement
The Mission of the Monroe County Children’s Center is to provide a safe therapeutic environment for juveniles awaiting adjudication through the judicial system.
We strive to reduce recidivism of juvenile crime through purposeful programs that build on education, strengths, develop valuable skills, and encourage positive self-image, to promote community safety and youth well-being.
Our Core Values = “Repurpose”
Respect for self and others
Effective communication fosters positive responses
Promote systemic changes to improve the lives of our youth and families
Understanding through a Trauma Informed Lens
Responsibility for your actions
Pride in all you do - Positioning for greatness
Opportunity to achieve your best
Supporting youth to be the best versions of self through safety first
Exhibit professionalism and respect toward others
- We provide a safe and secure environment for youth: free of abuse, fear, neglect or trauma.
- We provide Behavioral Health, Education, Life Skills, Medical, Psychiatric, Recreation, Religious, and Casework Services and Programs for all youth.
- We collaborate with Community Partners to advocate for youth rights, as well as to provide resources and information to families and youth.
- We work with families to develop optimal plans and resources available to youth and families during detainment in preparation for return to the community.
- We are committed to our staff and will provide ongoing support and training to advance and make a positive impact in the lives of the youth and staff.
- All youth and families will be connected to a Youth Engagement Specialist to provide supportive services and resources when transitioning to the community.
Our goal is to maintain a safe, stable, and trauma-informed milieu setting for the safety and well-being of the youth, staff, and protection of the community.
We strive to engage fiscally sound and culturally competent strategies that promote the best interests of the youth, to reduce recidivism through purposeful programs that build on strengths, develop skills and encourage positive self -image that promote community safety and well-being.
We maintain vigilance of the power dynamics that exist within a facility of this kind and manage them with intentionality, understanding, and flexibility that exhibits mutual respect for all.