740 East Henrietta Rd
Rochester, New York 14623
Phone: (585) 753-5141 (call M-F 9am-3pm)
Fax: (585) 753-5961
The Vital Records Office provides eligible applicants with copies of birth and death records that occurred in Monroe County from 1880 to the present. We do not have full images prior to 1928, which is a requirement for dual citizenship. Please contact the Albany Vital Records office at 1-855-322-1022.
There are three options to order birth & death certificates:
1. Order Online
Order Birth or Death Certificates Online
2. Make Appointment
NO SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS
- M-F 9am-3:30pm - APPOINTMENT REQUIRED - NO WALK-INS
- $30 / Certificate
- Credit/Debit: Only MC, Visa & Discover accepted. Cardholder must be present.
- Cash, Check & Money Order also accepted.
- Bring photo ID
- -OR- if you have no ID, 2 pieces of official mail no older than 6 months with your current address.
3. Complete Mail-In Application
Birth Certificate Mail-In Order Death Certificate Mail-In Order Funeral Home Mail-In Order
Genealogy Application Form
More info on genealogy applications
Vital Records Information
How long will it take?
Certified copies of birth and death records are processed while you wait and with few exceptions, take a matter of minutes. During peak business hours applicants may incur a longer waiting period. Genealogy requests may take 8 to 10 weeks to process.
Payment of Fees
Monroe County charges $30 per certified record. You may pay with cash, check, money order or credit card. Checks and money orders must be made payable to Monroe County Vital Records.
Failure to provide necessary identification will result in the rejection of your application.
Applications made at the Vital Records Office must be accompanied by one (1) of the following:
- Driver's license
- State issued non-driver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo-ID
If any of the above documents are not available, two (2) of the following showing the applicants name and address must be provided:
- Utility or telephone bills
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months
Record Availability and Eligibility Requirements
Certified Copies of Birth and Death Records
For important information about what records are available and who is eligible to receive copies of records, visit the following:
- Birth Certificate Information Sheet
- Birth Certificate Mail Application
- Death Certificate Information Sheet
- Death Certificate Mail Application
- Internet and Telephone Information for Birth and Death Certificates
Voluntary Acknowledgement of Parentage (LDSS-5171)
Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage (AOP) is a simple administrative process through which unmarried couples, and married couples who use assisted reproduction, can establish legal parentage. Offering parents the opportunity to complete an Acknowledgment of Parentage form in a hospital or birthing center means parents can begin to establish legal parentage even as soon as the day the child is born.
- Voluntary Acknowledgement of Parentage Form
- Voluntary Acknowledgement of Parentage Form Instructions
Please mail completed forms to: Monroe County Office of Vital Records, 740 East Henrietta Rd., Rochester, NY 14623
For more information, visit the NYSDOH website.
Information about the types of records available, limitations on availability, and an application form:
Genealogy copies are not available for same day pick up at the Vital Records Office. However, we can accept your payment and application at the counter. Your record will be mailed to you when the research has been completed.
Third Party Pick Up
We discourage third party pickups. If you are unable to come to our office yourself, we recommend that you order your certificate by mail or via the internet or telephone.
If you must have your record picked up by a third party, please follow these steps carefully:
- Provide the third party with a signed, dated and notarized letter stating who will be picking up your record, which record they will be picking up, and that you grant them permission to get the record for you.
- Send a completed and signed application form with the third party. You may download the appropriate form from the mail order page. Complete, print and sign the application form.
- The person picking up your record will be required to provide proof of his or her identity following the same criteria as listed above and will need to co-sign the application form.
Any discrepancies or a failure to fulfill all of the above requirements may cause the Vital Records office to be unable to issue the record to a third party.
- Apostille Requirements for Dual Citizenship
- Affidavit for Death Certificate for Dual Citizenship
- NYS DOH Information for Images Prior to 1928
Obtaining Pre-Adoption Birth Certificates
Effective January 15, 2020, NYS will allow adult adoptees over the age of 18 and direct line descendants on behalf of a deceased relative to access their pre-adoption birth certificates. Monroe County does not have access to these records. For more information about obtaining a pre-adoption birth certificate, please go to the NYS link below or call the Albany Vital Records Office at 1-855-322-1022.