Attention: Effective February 2023 - December 2024, Monroe County full-time employees will receive a $1,000 quarterly retention payment. Apply today. Another great reason to join the Monroe County workforce!
Description of Duties
This is a professional position responsible for preparing and reviewing plans for municipal, county and regional development and for participating in a wide variety of other planning-related assignments. The employee reports directly to and works under the general supervision of Senior and Associate Planners. Leeway is allowed for the exercise of independence and creativity. The Planner works as part of a team to help achieve the department's goals. General supervision may be exercised over a technical or clerical staff.
Candidates must meet the following minimum requirements on or before the date of the written exam:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Geography, Environmental Planning, Environmental Sciences, Geology, or Landscape Architecture, plus two (2) years of paid full‑time or its part‑time equivalent***** research or planning experience at a professional* level in any of the following: housing, OR transportation, OR other physical planning, OR land use planning, OR environmental planning, OR comprehensive planning,** OR preparing land use regulations, OR zoning administration, OR site design, OR a closely related field,*** OR,
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor's degree including successful completion of twenty-seven (27) semester credit hours in Land Use Planning or Environmental Science,**** plus three (3) years of paid full-time or its part-time equivalent***** experience as defined by (A) above; OR,
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Master's degree in one of the fields mentioned in (A) above; OR,
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree, plus six (6) years experience as described in (A) above; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience defined by the limits of (A), (B), (C), and (D) above.
*Professional, for the purposes of these minimum qualifications, does not include clerical, secretarial, maintenance, manual labor, or related fields.
**Comprehensive planning is defined as working with or developing plans with or within a municipality. Comprehensive plans are master plans that direct land use or development for a municipality.
***Closely related fields include natural resource planning, agricultural planning, water resource planning, economic development and housing planning.
****Applicants qualifying under (B) above must provide a student copy of their transcript.
If you are appointed, you will be required to possess a valid license to operate a vehicle in NYS, or otherwise demonstrate your ability to meet the transportation needs of the position.
Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test for employment with Monroe County Government.