Deputy Sheriff - Jailor
Attention: Effective February 2023 - December 2024, Monroe County full-time employees will receive a $1,000 quarterly retention payment. Apply today. Another great reason to join the Monroe County workforce!
Salary plus Quarterly Retention Payments*: $50,118 - $78,285
*Monroe County is providing $1,000 quarterly retention payments for full time employees through the end of 2024.
Description of Duties
This position is responsible for assisting with maintaining the safety and security of the Monroe County Jail, overseeing the care, custody, and well-being of incarcerated individuals, and tending to their daily personal needs. Work is carried out in accordance with established rules, regulations and procedures and involves substantial contact with incarcerated individuals on a daily basis. Deputies are assigned to a particular unit such as Housing or Transport. Deputies report directly to, and work under the general supervision of, a higher level staff member with leeway allowed for independent judgment.
Minimum Qualifications: Candidates must meet the following minimum requirements on or before December 1, 2023:
Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma
Driver’s license: Applicants must possess a valid New York State Class *D* driver's license at the time of appointment.
- Applicants must meet physical and medical standards established by the Municipal Police Training Council (MPTC).
- Psychological/Backgrounds Investigation: Applicants will be subject to an extensive pre-employment background investigation and psychological evaluation.
- Conviction of a felony will bar appointment.
- Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen per Public Officers Law.
- Applicants must be proficient in understanding and communicating in both speaking and writing, the English language.
- Deputies must successfully complete the Basic Course for Correction Officers mandated by The New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services and Municipal Police Training Council (MPTC) during the probationary period, or otherwise be removed from the position.
- Deputies must successfully complete the Firearms and Deadly Physical Force course Mandated by the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services and Municipal Police Training Council (MPTC) during the Probationary period, or otherwise be removed from the position.