Assistant Conflict Defender Grade I - Appeals
Attention: Monroe County full-time employees will receive a $1,000 quarterly retention payment each quarter in 2024! Apply today - another great reason to join the Monroe County workforce!
Description of Duties
This is an Appellate Attorney position located in the Department of Public Safety, Conflict Defender’s Office. This position is an appellate position and requires the ability to research legal issues, prepare cases for appellate review and argument. Cases being handled on appeal arise from criminal and family court cases in Monroe County.
Responsibilities involve legal representation of indigent persons entitled to public defense who cannot be represented by the Public Defender’s Office due to a conflict of interest. The employee reports directly to and works under the general supervision of the Conflict Defender.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
1. The Assistant Conflict Defender shall be an attorney duly licensed to practice law in the State of New York with prior experience handling criminal and/or family court matters or appellate cases from either court.
2. The Assistant Conflict Defender must have clear and effective communication skills.
3. The Assistant Conflict Defender must show a commitment to clients and exceptional advocacy.
4. The Assistant Conflict Defender must have an ability to work with judges, lawyers, court administrators, other persons within the court system, and court officials.
5. The Assistant Conflict Defender should have experience working with low income individuals or communities of color and a commitment to racial equity, diversity and inclusion.