Paper envelopes, including those with windows, are accepted for curbside recycling and at the ecopark. Manilla envelopes lined with bubble wrap are not recyclable and should be disposed of in trash.
Residential Curbside Recycling
The following commingled materials are accepted for curbside recycling and also for drop off at the ecopark.
Acceptable Paper Items
- Newspapers and inserts
- Magazines and catalogs
- Junk mail, advertisements and brochures
- Clean cardboard (flatten, not to exceed 2x4 feet)
- Pizza boxes (clean, empty and flatten)
- Paper egg cartons NO styrofoam
- Paper boxes - cereal, cracker, soda, tissue, shoe, gift, toy, pasta, etc. - flatten NO plastic liners
- Soft cover books (including phone books)
- Home office paper, files, school papers, etc. Shredded paper must be in brown paper bags
- Envelopes (including windowed envelopes)
- Gift wrap (non foil/metallic, no ribbon)
- Gable-top cartons & drink boxes (rinsed, lids reattached)
Acceptable Plastic Items
Plastic bottles, jars, jugs & tubs. Acceptable plastics include clean dry & empty:
- Beverage bottles, squeeze bottles, and spray bottles
- To-go clamshells, food storage containers, and single-serve yogurt containers
- Food jars (peanut butter, mayonnaise, sauce, etc.)
- Jugs (milk, laundry detergent, etc.)
- Tubs (dairy products like sour cream, margarine, etc.)
- Reattach caps, spray pumps and lids
Acceptable Metal & Glass Items
- Metal Pots, Pans and Aluminum Foilware
- License Plates (defaced)
- Metal Food and Beverage Cans (lids are accepted)
- EMPTY Aerosol Cans (with caps) NO pesticides or spray paints!
- Glass food and beverage bottles, jugs and jars (with or without caps) NO drinking glasses, window glass, pyrex, light bulbs, etc.
Help Prevent Windblown Litter
Help reduce windblown litter by delaying recycling if high winds are forecast.
Reduce Junk Mail
Reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by calling the following toll-free number: 1-888-567-8688.
New or Replacement Recycling Bins
In order to obtain a new or replacement recycling bin, homeowners must call their garbage collector. City of Rochester residents should call 585 428-5990.
Local Recycling Centers
Items accepted for curbside recycling can also be dropped off at ecopark and local recycling centers.