Deputy Sheriff - Jailor
Attention: Effective February 2023 - December 2024, Monroe County full-time employees will receive a $1,000 quarterly retention payment. Apply today. Another great reason to join the Monroe County workforce!
Description of Duties
This position is responsible for assisting with maintaining the safety and security of the Monroe County Jail, overseeing the care, custody, and well-being of inmates, and tending to inmates’ daily personal needs. Work is carried out in accordance with established rules, regulations and procedures and involves substantial contact with inmates on a daily basis. Deputies are assigned to a particular unit such as Housing or Transport. Deputies report directly to, and work under the general supervision of, a higher level staff member with leeway allowed for independent judgment.
Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma.
Special Requirements:Driver’s license: Applicants must possess a valid New York State Class *D* driver's license at the time of appointment.
- Applicants must meet physical and medical standards established by the Monroe County Civil Service Commission.
- Psychological/Backgrounds Investigation: Applicants will be subject to an extensive pre-employment backgrounds investigation and psychological evaluation.
- Conviction of a felony will bar appointment.
- Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen per Public Officers Law.
- Residency: Must be Monroe County residents per Public Officers Law.
- Deputies must successfully complete a training course mandated by the New York State Commission of Correction during the probationary period or otherwise be removed from the position.