Beginning in 2011, indoor tanning facilities in New York must be licensed and inspected. In Monroe County, the Department of Public Health will oversee implementation of this new regulation.
To protect health and minimize risks associated with indoor tanning, operators must:
- Prohibit individuals under 18 years of age from using tanning facilities.
- Provide adequate instruction on use of UV equipment.
- Provide protective eyewear to any patron who does not have their own.
- Ensure that all UV devices are properly labeled, properly maintained, and operated in accordance with FDA guidelines.
NYS created "Interim Guidance for Personal Care Services during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency" to provide owners/operators of personal care businesses and their employees and contractors with precautions to help protect against the spread of COVID-19 as their facilities reopen. Tanning facilities need to ensure adherance to these guidelines in order to operate.
Tanning Application Forms
- Application for Permit to Operate (DOH-3915)
- Tanning Fee Schedule
- Statement of Acknowledgement (Spanish)
Other Tanning Documents
- Tanning Hazards Information Sheet (Spanish)
- Tanning Warning Sign (Spanish)
- Injury and Illness Report Form