The goal of the Waste Site Review Program is to prevent human exposure to contaminants from waste disposal sites.
To accomplish this goal, program staff are involved in four main activity areas:
- Convene and participate on the Monroe County Department of Health Waste Site Advisory Committee:
- Conducting quarterly meetings with NYSDEC, NYSDOH, City of Rochester, Monroe County Environmental Management Council.
- Reviewing status of waste sites recommended by NYSDEC and Monroe County to the NYSDEC Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites.
- Reviewing the status of each of the Registry sites located in Monroe County.
- Reviewing the status of NYSDEC Brownfield Restoration sites and Voluntary Cleanup Agreement sites.
- Review of proposed developments within 2000 feet of waste disposal sites including:
- Reviewing plans for developments on or near waste disposal sites using criteria found in Monroe County Development Review Guidelines for Properties within 2000 Feet of Waste Disposal Sites.
- Participate in the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Site Program including:
- Reviewing plans and reports for waste site investigations.
- Attending public meetings.
- Review of plans for developments on former orchards.